Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Thank you to my NGT PCs!

Dumaguete, Philippines; Sunday, November 8

The week before I left, my NGT PCs gave me a total of $115 to take with me to the Philippines in order to use it towards a great need. During my week there, I realized that the needs were endless. But I still kept my eye out for the one. There were two young girls named Cristina and Judilyn, who live at ICM's orphanage, who traveled with us throughout the week. On Sunday night we were invited to the orphanage for dinner. A young woman named Annie and her parents have taken in eighteen children, including Cristina and Judilyn and their younger siblings. The children sleep on mattresses on the floor because they cannot afford anything extra. Annie told us each child's story about how they lost their parents and how they got to the shelter. These children have endured more pain in their short lives than many adults. Yet, they have formed a bond so close that they have become family, just quite a large one. After hearing their stories and seeing their needs, I felt that this was right. So thank you, PCs for your generosity. Before we left, the children surprised us with a dance. They told us how much the movie 'Slumdog Millionaire' meant to them as orphans, so they learned the dance at the end to the song, Jai Ho by Rahman and Gulzar. It was quite a production! Here are their beautiful faces:

No comments: